Adoption scams are rare, but occasionally happen. Usually when prospective adoptive parents are desperate to adopt they fail to do due diligence and the necessary homework.
To minimize the risk of being scammed in an adoption, the following suggestions should be considered:
1. Ask tough questions and question the qualifications and methods of locating a baby with the professionals you may work with.
2. Never pay large up-front fees.
3. Only work with professionals whose information and qualifications can be verified.
4. Avoid working with individuals with untraceable telephone numbers.
5. Avoid the urge to wire money to someone who needs it immediately.
6. Get specific answers to all of your questions.
7. Avoid individuals who give evasive answers or few details.
8. Beware of anyone who guarantees a baby within a specific amount of time. Most professionals will not made such promises.
9. Avoid anyone who is pressuring you.
10. Use your common sense and always go with your gut feelings.